Saturday, February 20, 2010

God is the Answer for me

Reid and I went to an Al Anon meeting this morning. I've told my grandson for a long time that he needs to go, but he won't. I decided to go myself.

Today the topic appeared to be "taking care of myself." I wish Grandson could have heard it. Many of the people talked about finally realizing they need to stop trying to change the alcoholic and take care of themselves. I think I'm over that hump.

I have fears and sorrow over the situation, but I'm emotionally detached and know I can't change anyone. But I have one thing that it didn't seem some of the others had. God. I believe He can change situations and people. My trust and faith is in Him and that's where I rest.

I don't know if I'll go back again. There are many other meetings and I might try out one of those. I almost feel like I'd rather be a sponsor who says, "Turn it all over to God." They do speak of a Higher Power/God as each of us sees Him. Without really knowing Him, that's impossible and I'm not sure where any of the people were spiritually except for two men. One admitted he has trouble with a loving God but is working on that. The other showed a deep belief in God. All I said when I shared was that I believed in answered prayer and that is where I am--or something like that. I'm not exactly sure what came out.

So many families are dealing with addiction. If there were 50 people there today who are and have been dealing with it for years, there are multiple more in the same boat. What a mixed up world we live in. So many hurting people. How can I reach out and help them? That's my desire. The only answer I have is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment