Sunday, April 19, 2009

Signs of Love

We have a lady who signs for the deaf during the church service. She stands on the platform not far from the preacher. We've heard complaints about where she stands, and I kind of agreed that she didn't need to be up there, but what I saw this morning changed my mind.

I looked across the way and saw a little kindergartner sitting on her daddy's lap and following the signing the best she could. Amazing how close she came to the right signs. I loved watching her. Not only was she learning something invaluable, it was probably helping her listen to what was being said.

Sometimes we don't know what kids are picking up. I know I'm really bad at making snap judgements, but watching this child made me realize (again), that the world doesn't revolve around me.

Am I the only one who has a problem with that?

2 comments:

  1. No, I think it runs in the family.
    JOH

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80's at Higher Dimensions, Julie sat with her parents on the front row and signed to praise and worship songs. I picked up most of the songs and loved it so much that I even got the book, The Joy of Signing. Since then, I have continued to sign while singing worship songs (mostly by myself). i've taught my kids a few songs and taught a song in Children's Church last month. It's funny how it's stayed with me, somehow I connect more when signing. And yes, I find myself completely self-absorbed at times. Writing seems to help open my eyes better than anything else. Gotta love hindsight.

    ReplyDelete