Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Do We Really Believe?

Have you ever gone to church and or somewhere else and had God talk directly to you? It has happened many times to me and Sunday it happened again.

Because of all that has happened in my life in the past, I believe God has had a Big Hand in where I was then and where I am today. Yet I've complained and been discontented. The last time I felt total contentment was about 7 years ago. I can remember sitting in my sun room and thinking, "I am totally at peace and content." About six months later my life changed and although it's good now, I haven't experienced that feeling again.

The sharp two-edged sword began its journey into my heart a week ago and really stuck in deep last Sunday. The scripture from Colossians 3:17 made a big impact on me. "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

I took an older Bible to church Sunday. I'd made many of the scriptures personal. (ex. And whatever I do, I do it heartily with all my heart, as to the Lord and not to men.....for I serve the Lord Christ.)

"Whatever I do in word or deed." Do I really believe that God has a hand in my life or don't I? I can't have it but one way and I choose to believe I am where He wants me or I'd be somewhere else.

"Giving thanks."

My eyes were suddenly opened. I hadn't been giving thanks and it was showing in my life. "What we believe is how we live, and what we do reflects what we believe."
I wish our church had an altar where we could go and confess and pray. But we don't. We don't even admit to our brothers and sisters that we aren't on top of the world.

Well, I'm admitting it here. I have a long way to go but I'm back on the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Barton W. Stone allegedly said of the Reformation churches, "We have taken the mourner's bench out of our buildings, and we have quit mourning."

    I guess our front pew seres as the mourner's bench or the altar to confess at. But it is hard to do. Many churches do not promote vulnerability, which is sad.

    I'm glad these scriptures spoke to you. Your post spoke to me, and I think after I send this I am going to go offer a prayer of thanksgiving.

    Thanks,
    wb

    ReplyDelete