Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Vision

In 1973 I read a little book titled "The Vision" by David Wilkerson. I no longer have that book but I've thought about it many times and tried to find it. This morning I woke up thinking about it. I found it on David's website. He's updated it with two chapters now titling the book "The Vision and Beyond." I ordered it this morning.

When I read this book in '73 it scared me. I couldn't imagine our country becoming what David's vision prophesied. But from what I remember about it, I can see many of those things have come to pass. He has other prophecies of the future now.

I believe God does show his people what is to come. He did it all the way through the Old Testament and at the end of the New. Why do we think he no longer is interested enough in us to show us today? I know that many NT churches don't believe or practice the gifts spoken of in 1 Corinthians, saying they passed away with the people the apostles touched. I've seen too much to believe that is true and don't read it anywhere in the Bible.

The one part of all this that I doubt is when present-day prophets talk about God's judgement on our country or planet. I don't think God is doing these things. There is rampant evil in the world because we've pushed God aside. Mankind is bringing these things on himself. All we can do is heed what is being spoken by the Spirit and make ourselves ready by drawing nearer to the only One who can help us through whatever comes.

In my life I've heard God's voice in my spirit, known his leading and followed his direction. The things he's told me about the future have come to pass. For the past few years I've gotten out of the habit of truly listening to him because I haven't been in an environment that practices and stresses "living in the Spirit." I want to be there again.

I've attempted to add Wilkerson's blog to my list and hope it shows up. We are told to test the spirits and test the prophecies. I will read what Wilkerson has to say but I will listen to what the Spirit is saying when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment