Friday, June 20, 2008

Love Unveiled

In the book, "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul," Stasi Eldredge writes, "Having a child is like having your heart walk around outside your body." All parents should attest to that feeling, but I've known some who were able to walk away from their children. I can't imagine ever doing that. Even as old as my own children are now, never in their lives did I ever feel I could walk away from them. They have my heart. That's why it is so devastingly heart breaking when a child turns away from the parent, when a child sees the parent as the enemy, when a child makes choices that bring him harm, and when communication between parent and child is broken. In those empty times, the only solace the parent has is knowing their child can't walk so far away that God can't find them and bring them back. The writer of Lamentations puts it this way, "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I hope in Him."

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if I've ever thanked my mom for having me and for loving me. I know there were times she didn't have to. I don't know that I've ever thanked her for staying with me in the hospital night and day when I was a baby. For all the times I was hurt and there were many. For all the times she never stopped praying for me when I was so lost. For all the times she bailed me out financially. For being by my side when I had my own baby. For helping me when I brought him home and didn't know what to do next. For all the phone calls I've whined and cried and just carried on, she listened. I could go on and on but all I really want to say is: MOM Thank you and I love and always will.
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara!

    I am so glad you have started a blog. A blog gives us a chance to get to know the blogger in a way that our too-busy life often prevents. In addition, I've found my blog a great release for all those uspoken thoughts that tumble around in my head all day as I go about my business. I'm adding you to my blog feed!

    R.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom has always been there for me, always. Her love amazing, never skipping a beat. In the times I turned to her and when I turned away, she was there. Now, in her time of need, she's let me be there for her in the most intimate of ways. She's let me be her support and shield through really deep, dark valleys. She's beautiful inside and out, always and forever.

    ReplyDelete