Saturday, July 5, 2008

Nothing But Net

I went out to get the newspaper this morning and wanted to stay out there. Summer mornings in our neighborhood in Albuquerque are glorious--clear, cool, still. Inside the house, still sleeping, was a husband I love dearly and who I never dreamed would come into my life five years ago; a son and daughter-in-law who we don't get to see as much as we'd like, and a sweet little two-year-old granddaughter. She loves life, giggles like nobody's business at the smallest things, and rarely complains. We'll go to another son's home today and see more grandchildren as we celebrate two birthdays. A little over five years ago I didn't know any of these people, but they have embraced me into their families and given a greater fullness to a life I thought was completely full before.

Life isn't always a "bowl of cherries" but there's always something to be grateful for. I'm going through a rough time right now (alot of which is because I have trouble keeping my mind still and being able to be completely consicious of the present moment), but this morning all I felt, and all I wanted to feel, was gratitude.

Looking back has its good parts and its bad. If I look back with regrets, guilt or shame, it's not good. But when I change my focus and see where I was and where I am now--"nothing but net" (as they say in the basketball world.)

I have to give the credit to God. I'm made alot of dumb, foolish decisions in my life, and He's delivered me out of them all. What's going on at this time isn't a decision I made, but it's a decision I can make now. I know that "this, too, shall pass" and when it passes, I will see God's deliverance again.

So what's my job today? Focus on being grateful, on what is good about my life (which is alot!), only remember how things in the past worked out better than I ever deserved and keep trusting God.

With Him in our lives, no matter what we face, every day will be better than the day before.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I have done a *lot* of stupid things that I could spend my time regretting and cringing over. The attitude you describe in your comments is the only healthy and holy one to take: living in the present and the future.

    ReplyDelete