Saturday, July 12, 2008

Everywhere and in Everything

Hedonism. The first time I became familiar with that word was when my husband's boss described their vacation on an island by that name in the Bahamas. He and his wife were in their late forties and had discovered the joys of nudism. He talked about the people they met and how they snorkled, swam, dined and visited sans clothing. He invited us to come with them sometime. No thanks. (I haven't been in touch with them for years. Now that they're nearing eighty, I wonder if they still go to there.)

Hedonism is the philosophy that pleasure is of ultimate importance. Its name is derived from the Greek word for "delight." There are scores of hedonistic resorts in the world. They are based on "do what you want to do" places; no holds barred, no laws or ethics, nothing to hold a person back from exhibiting his most basic instincts and desires.

I believe God is everywhere and in everything--omnipresent. If that's true, then He must be on those hedonistic islands, too. In what way, I'm not sure. (I wonder if they go to church nude--or do they even have churches around those resorts? How do you focus on God when naked? Makes for a strange picture. Maybe they dress up in swim suits or shorts for services.) But I digress.

We saw a movie yesterday--"Hancock." Good movie. Not great. A lot of special effects, good actors and a good story. It's my belief that if God is really omnipresent, then I can find Him if I look. I saw Him in the movie. I don't want to give away the plot, but I will tell you where I found Him, and why I'm writing about hedonism in the same blog.

Hedonism is about ME, my pleasure, what I want. Hancock is about doing what's good for someone else. Hancock makes the ultimate sacrifice and that sacrifice was to deny himself for someone else's happiness. That's where I saw God. My basic nature might want to do nothing that doesn't bring me satisfaction and pleasure, but if I have enough of God in me, I won't be able to do it. Now, I know people who say they don't believe in God, but they aren't hedonistic. They are good people and would give of themselves for someone else. Maybe they have more of God in them than they know.

After all, He is omnipresent.

No comments:

Post a Comment