Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Jiggidy Jog

"Home again, Home again Jiggidy Jog." These are words from an old nursery rhyme but that's all I remember about it. They sum up how I feel about being home again. The trip was good but "there's no place like home." (Another applicable quote.)

I promised to include a picture of the Outer Banks and I have two. I'm not sure if I can manage to get both of them in but I'll try. I got one to load. This is the Crocodile River. We saw one man fishing in it but saw no crocs. What we noticed was the perfect image of the shore in the water.

Most of the beach houses in Kitty Hawk are three story. All look like they are built of wood with wood shingle roofs. I don't remember ever hearing of the eye of a hurricane hitting these banks. I'm sure they can get flooding and wind. Another fact about them--they are large. Many were for sale. It would be interesting to know what they sell for.
I learned a lot about the Wright brothers flights, too. I have always thought they flew once, but that wasn't true. They had many flights in 1903. The first ones were in gliders. Then they added a motor and managed four in one day. The last flight was an impressive 852 feet in 59 seconds. Sure glad they made it work. Otherwise we would still be driving back from North Carolina. Reid managed to climb in beside Orville but I stayed on the ground. If I'd been able to climb up there (which was iffy), I might still be there. As you can see it's a little high off the ground.

Now you know all I know.
Best get off to the laundry room and wash some of that NC red dirt off our clothes.
By the way----I'm so HAPPY to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment