Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life is Like a Novel

My brother thinks I can write a blog a day because I have so much going on in my mind. I do have a lot going on in my mind, but I can't put all of it down in writing. Nobody wants to hear all that noise!

I read another blog this morning written by a critique partner who is on her second novel, just as I am. She talked about how the "ghost" novel is forming in her head. She keeps going forward although she knows she will have to go back and re-write the beginning chapters to match the ones she's on now.

Novel #1 in my Detective Joe Denali series has been written for some time. However, as I write #2 in the series, I see where I will have to go back and re-write some scenes in #1 to give them more punch. For instance, the female protagonist in #1 will no longer be blonde but will have red hair. By making that change I can have a much shorter title for the book.

Life is like our novels. We keep going forward and wishing we could go back and re-write/edit what has come before. We can't make those changes, but what we can do is make the changes today so we don't repeat the mistakes we made in the past.

I'm taking a Beth Moore Bible class at the church. It's on the book of Esther. Beth's subtitle is "It's Tough Being a Woman." I've only had two lessons and already I'm seeing some character traits I don't like in myself. I can't change what those traits meant to my past but, God help me, it isn't too late to change them now!

When I say "God help me!", that's exactly what I mean. Without some BIG outside help, those characteristics will continue to plague me just as they have all these years.

Brother Jim, don't ask me what they are because I won't tell you. I won't tell anyone else either.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. And not just because I'm mentioned in it. ;-)

    Seriously, that's a very useful connection about how we view our life stories. You tie it in well to the Esther study, which I'm attending on the west side. I'm looking forward to discussing it with you, especially as we move deeper into the study.

    ReplyDelete