Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Use Me

I don't think I'm alone in living far below what God wants for me. Most of the time, instead of living in the Kingdom of God, I'm just talking about it.

Our casita was used once again last night with an old friend traveling through town. Since we had a guest out there for several weeks who just left us about a month ago, and three girls traveling with a Christian singing group last Saturday night, my first impulse was to complain about how much work it is to do the laundry and cleaning in order to restore the room to its pristine condition.

That room isn't ours. As with all we have, the room belongs to God. Why can't I remember that? He brings people to us. He brings us the blessings of being able to show hospitality to those people. And I complain?

I know the reason. Selfishness. I hate to admit it, but I know it is true. Our last guest last night stayed and visited for several hours this morning, and my heart opened to God. This person has always had that affect on me. Many years ago he, his wife and I would talk for hours leaving me reaching higher for the Kingdom. This morning I heard him say he had to give everything up in order to obtain where he is now.

Give up everything? That doesn't mean actually doing without it. It means letting go of everything that hides me, shields me, gives me comfort, builds me up.

When I was in junior high and high school, our church sang a song almost every Sunday after communion. I was far from spiritual in those days but as we sang that song, it became my prayer--and still is.

Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me.
Make me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me.

I know He is still at work on me. My prayer is that I'll allow Him to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment