Thursday, July 30, 2009

No Place Like Home

When I'm away from home, I always wish I was there.
Sometimes, when I'm at home, I'd like to be somewhere else for just a few hours then twitch my nose and be back home.

We spent a few days with my brother and if the hotel had been nicer, the stay would have been less yucky. But the time we spent with family couldn't have been better.
I wish we could get with brother and sister-in-law at least once a week to play cards. But driving 11 hours is just a little too long for one evening.

In the past families lived close together. My grandparents were only 90 miles from us. I had aunts and uncles even closer than that. Today is different. Two children are 10 hours away. Two are a couple of days away. Another is a good 12 hours away. One lives in the same town but we rarely see them because they are 30 minutes away and are busy with five children. We have cousins, nephews and nieces spread out around the country. Fortunately we have transportation we didn't have many years ago so we can visit or they can, when we want to.

I'm not sure I'd want all family within a few hours from us, but it would be nice to be able to see them more often. We have free calling minutes and email and airplanes and fast cars we didn't have 70 years ago. We can be thankful for that, can't we?
We can travel to see the relatives any time we want, but that means sleeping in a strange bed at night, and not having our clothes and make up and all the things we need from day to day right at our fingertips.

No. There's just no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment