Monday, December 21, 2009

God Can Talk

I love it when I ask God a question and He answers me.

I know. Many people look at me like I'm crazy when I say God communicates with me. I talk to Him so why wouldn't He talk back?

The past few weeks have been a windstorm of activities that began when we were almost completely sure we are making some big living changes. I say almost completely because that's exactly what we feel.

The first step in this "almost completely" is to put our house on the market. Since houses in our price range aren't selling well (and we have houses on both sides of us for sale), we know that getting an offer on our house will be an act of God. Still, we are sure of that one thing.

Next is knowing that we will be downsizing. We have four bedrooms, four bathrooms, and an office. We love all this room when we have company, but most of the time we don't even go into the other rooms. Downsizing means "get rid of some stuff we don't need." And that's what we've been doing. I love seeing some empty shelves in every closet; love having the pantry neatly organized. We still have files to cull and papaers to shread, the garage to attack and Christmas to put away.

After the first of January the house goes on the market and we have to keep it viewer-ready at all times; work that I'll enjoy because that's how I wish I lived all the time.

What is the next step? Leave our town and move to another? That appears to be what we're hearing, but we are open. A person with my personality needs challenges and wants to know what is ahead. I'm not comfortable not knowing what I'm going to do tomorrow and next year. For this malady God has been telling me (Yes, I know that sounds odd to some)that He is the lamp and light in my path. He's the Light and He's carrying the lamp. I can see the next step but unless He moves, I'd better wait for illumination.

As we were getting ready for church yesterday morning I asked God to speak to me. During communion I looked around the assembly at the people I've grown to love and said, "Lord, I don't want to leave." That was it until the preacher began his message. The title was "The Joy of Obedience." Oh, my.

Jesus knew the will of God from the time He was very young. Being God He knew He was going to have to give His life for the redemption of the world. Do you wonder if, before He began His ministry and knew He was going to have to face a whole bunch of guys who didn't "get it," that He said to His Father, "Why don't we just get this over with and die today?" Hebrews 10:7-"I have come to do your will, O God." Timing.

Jesus embraced obedience to God and in doing that He embraced the Right Time.
I'm not Jesus, but He's definitely the One I want to emulate and follow. Why else am I here except to fulfill His will and the destiny He has for me? He says that we will keep His commandments if we love Him. Jesus is not only the WAY of salvation, He is MY salvation. Following Him is my salvation.

Every morning I--we--need to wake up saying, "I have come to do your will today, Lord. Light my path and help me see." That means I have to let go of my self and my selfish desires minute by minute. That's the Joy in Obedience.

To top the message off, the closing hymn was "Trust and Obey." Yes, I heard from Jesus in the way He speaks to me. And, no, I still want to know more about our future, but maybe I know more than I know I know. Whatever comes, I'm waiting for Him to light our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment