Monday, August 11, 2008

Being Rescued

My brother thinks some of my blogs are strange. Maybe they reflect the "real me." Maybe he's the one who is strange. At any rate, here goes another one.

I started thinking about the word "rescue." I've been told I shouldn't "rescue" my children when they get themselves into messes. I have to agree that if a person keeps doing the same thing over and over and doesn't really want to change, rescuing him/her probably has to come to an end. I've done stupid things many times and God has always "rescued" me. Sometimes it was the same mistake twice or three times. He still rescued me. Think about the mountain climbers, the people who manage to be in the arroyo when a wall of water comes down on them, and other people who take chances with their lives. Don't we send out teams to rescue them from their own foolishness? What would we do if we knew we would never be rescued if we made mistakes?

I'm glad I can be a rescuer when someone needs me. Even if I didn't want to, I don't think I could turn my back on someone who needs rescuing. And I wonder if the people who say they would could really do it if they were faced with a person who needed to be saved from their own mistakes. When I made my mistakes, I was doing the best I could do at that time in my life. I didn't know at the time what I knew later, did I? If I had, then I wouldn't have made those choices. I think it's important to give people the benefit of the doubt before we judge them.

Yes, I may write strange blogs, but as I said, that's how my mind works. Surely my brother has known me long enough to know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment