Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek Took Me For A Ride!

We went to the movie yesterday. I love movies and don't usually go to the most popular ones, but since Star Trek was one we watched for years--live and in reruns--we went to see the new one.

All the previews were exactly alike: creatures and transformer-like gadgets flying through the air and chasing actors. Ear-shattering noise! Eye-crossing action! Limp story-lines. And Star Trek proved to be one with the others.

If you ever watched the original, you know the characters: Captain Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy, Lt. Uhura, Sulu, Scottie, and a Chekov you could barely understand. In the original Chekov had an accent but at least you could figure out what he was saying. Also present was the nefarious Nero. All of them were represented well in the new version which began even before Kirk attended Star Fleet Academy. That part was interesting, particularly when Kirk went into the future and met the "Old" Spock played by Leonard Nimoy.

After an hour of the screen being filled with sounds that most surely could be heard from Century 24 to Santa Fe, and objects and men flying through the air, my stomach turned over. I was becoming motion sick. I closed my eyes but the light still flashed through the skin on my lids. I put on my sun glasses and that helped. Periodically, when the sound lowered, I'd open my eyes and watch for a millisecond characters talking or moving at a normal pace before having to shut them again.

One of the times when I had acute motion sickness, I could hardly wait for the helicopter to land so I could stand on level ground. I felt the same way with this movie. "Lord, please let it be over!" And if finally was.

Now I've seen it and don't ever have to see another one like it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment