Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Memories

Ever have your mind swimming with memories?

We attended a high school reunion last week end. It's been 55 years since we graduated from Amarillo High School. All Sandies are invited to belong to the 50th plus group and they have a reunion every three years. This is the second one of these we have attended. Our graduating class had reunions every five years so we've been very close.

Some of the people are easily recognizable, but others don't look like anyone we've ever seen before. Maybe they think the same of us.

We spent two days staying up late, getting up early and visiting, visiting, visiting. I was able to see my oldest friend. I believe the last time I saw her was in about 1955 or 1956. We lived a block apart from the time we were in grade school until I graduated and left Amarillo in 1954. Being with her was the best part of the reunion for me.

Also, I saw my first boyfriend again, but I've seen him a few times since childhood. He hasn't changed much and has a precious wife. It was the first time I'd met her.

All these people brought back a deluge of memories and since I've been home I haven't been able to put them aside. Maybe it's because I wonder if we will all be able to meet again in three years. One of our dearest classmates died while the reunion was going on. I don't think she and her husband ever missed a reunion since both of them graduated from AHS. The last time I saw them was at their lake house in Texas in 2008. We were supposed to meet again this past spring but couldn't because of her illness. Makes me wonder what can happen in three short years. There's hope though. We met people who had graduated in the 30s and were still going strong.

The only other thing on my mind has been the glasses issue. I did get them fixed quite easily. The funniest thing was hearing from someone who packed her glasses with her Christmas decorations one year. Talk about hard to find!

Otherwise life is getting back to normal--whatever that is.
But the memories remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment