Thursday, October 8, 2009

Miracles

I read David Wilkerson's blog today on Progressive Miracles. I have to agree with him that the instantaneous miracles really get our attention but the ones that happen over a long period change our lives.

Many years ago during the Jesus Movement of the 60s, I saw some of those instant miracles: a deaf man heard, a lame woman's leg and foot grew out the same length, and one of my own--an instant deliverance from smoking. All of those impressed me greatly and helped me to see that God's power is more than we can imagine. But even with all those miracles happening around us, my daughter is still deaf in one ear and hard of hearing in the other, and I am still blind in one of my eyes. God didn't choose to use His power to change those things, and I asked Him many times.

As I look back over my life, and that of my daughter's since the 60s I see an even larger power at work in our lives. He has brought us near Him in our infirmities and given us normal and full lives in spite of them. My daughter is a people lover. She can read lips and speaks clearly after a few years of speech therapy and training. She's been through some hard times and in those she's learned to love and lean on God.

I can see and read and write and both my eyes travel together so that no one knows about the blindness. For that I am thankful.

This is where God has led me...

to Gratitude. My infirmities only make His strength more perfect in me. Without Him I am nothing, but with Him I am everything.

I keep coming back to the song we sang in the First Christian Church. "Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. . . make me, mold me, fill me, use me. . ." When He fulfills that prayer, then that's the real miracle.

2 comments:

  1. The thing about infirmities is that at least we know what they are, and how they affect us. I'd like to have such clarity about my spiritual weaknesses and how they are affecting me. In hindsight, it's easier to see the weaknesses I have left behind. But in the press of each day, it's hard for me to know whether my choices are always the right ones, or whether my weaknesses are clouding my vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosslyn,
    I think we are harder on ourselves than God is. If you are truly wanting to walk uprightly before God, he will lead you in that direction even if you stumble a few times. Rely on his grace and mercy when that happens.

    ReplyDelete