Monday, January 26, 2009

What If?

Lord, if you let me win the lottery, I promise it won't spoil me.
I read this on a bumper sticker recently.

I woke up this morning thinking about money.
Without going into details, all my life the thought that "I never have enough" is ingrained in my mind. It came from my daddy, who was raised pretty poor.
With the economy in a downturn, our retirement money is dwindling, jobs are hard to find. Some in my family need jobs.
Once upon a time we thought we could just sell our house if we needed more money, but that's out the window now, too.

God tells us not to worry about tomorrow. I know deep inside of me that He takes care of the sparrow and knows the number of hairs on my head. Still, I get into the "what ifs."

I can't imagine the amount of dollars being thrown around in the media: millions, billions, trillions. I can't imagine being paid the amounts given to atheletes, film stars, CEOs. I wonder what it would feel like to do something that someone thought so much of they'd give me a million dollars every time I did it.

It is hard to stop the "what ifs" when the news is so full of them. What I need are my own "what ifs." What if God is really who He says He is? What if God really will take care of all my needs? What if I can enter into the rest Jesus tells us we can have in Him? What if I remember that He has never failed me yet? Always answered my prayers? Always made things work out for the good for me and my family?

What if I just live today and let Him worry about tomorrow? What if, in the long run, none of my worrying matters anyway?

I think I'll go do my laundry and let God work out all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment